Both St Peter’s in Cringleford and St Andrew’s in Colney have interesting histories. St Peter’s is open during the day for visitors – please feel free to pop in to either have a look around or use as a quiet space. You can also see the rare Saxon stained glass window by clicking here.

Cringleford has been established as a settlement since before 950 AD. The village derives its name from the ancient word ‘cringla’ which means a round hill, and from the ford that originally crossed the River Yare. That round hill is likely to be the ground upon which St Peter’s church stands.

Have a look at the time line for more information.

950 – 1100: St Andrew’s and St Peter’s Saxon churches were constructed. St Andrew’s still has its original round Saxon tower.

1252: The church lands in Cringleford were used to endow the newly founded Great Hospital in Norwich. The Great Hospital is still the patron of St Peter’s church today.

1400-1500: Both churches were extended and would be recognisable to us today. Bells were hung in the towers.

1549: The first Prayer Book was introduced as part of the Reformation, meaning worship could be spoken in English rather than Latin.

1567: The Elizabethan Communion cup was presented to St Andrew’s. This is the earliest gift to survive in either church and is still in use today.

1880 – 1906: St Andrew’s chancel was restored and new choir stalls built. Later the wooden screen and stained glass windows were given to the church, to commemorate members of the Barclay family who lived at Colney Hall. St Peter’s church was restored and the south aisle was added. Many of the stained glass windows were installed at this time, as well as the organ and pews.

1950 – 1970: Cringleford grew substantially. The church hall was built. The nearby University of East Anglia was built.

1980: The Parish of St Peter’s was formally linked with the Parish of St Andrew’s.